To test your water for Microcystin please contact a Technical Service Representative at 1-800-458-3330.
Microcystin is a result of algae blooms when Cyanobacteria multiply quickly during warmer, calm weather in bodies of water with high phosphorus and nitrogen levels. Such blooms can appear green, red, orange or brown grass-like clumps.
Microcystin poisoning can cause breathing problems, upset stomach, skin reactions, and even liver damage. Getting blue-green algae/Microcystin on the skin may produce a rash, hives, or skin blisters. Swallowing water containing blue-green algae/Microcystin may cause gastrointestinal symptoms such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, severe headaches, and fever. Inhaling water droplets containing blue-green algae/Microcystin can cause runny eyes and nose, cough, sore throat, chest pain, asthma-like symptoms, or allergic reactions. Exposure to large amounts of Microcystin can cause liver damage.